Elephants are one of Africa’s most loved animals, and yet their numbers are in crisis due to poaching and loss of habitat. This Oyster Worldwide volunteering placement is in a highly-regarded park, which provides a safe home for a resident family of 12 elephants, as well as temporary accommodation for other elephants in need.
As a volunteer you will work closely alongside permanent staff and other volunteers on a wide range of activities. Typical tasks include:
- Preparing food and milk bottles (for baby elephants)
- Assisting the guides with daily tours, feeding the elephants and attending to visitors
- Helping with veterinary care
- Doing research projects, making and recording observations, taking samples of dung and plants etc
- Helping with maintenance work
This is much appreciated by permanent staff, since it frees them up for specialised jobs.
The project provides a wonderful opportunity to work with elephants in their own habitat. This will be fascinating for any animal lover, but would also provide ideal experience for anyone with an interest in wildlife conservation. You will come away with:
- The unforgettable experience of watching elephants up close and gaining their trust
- Plenty of new knowledge and insights into their way of life
- Wonderful memories – seeing disturbed new arrivals gradually settle in, enjoying the stunning scenery and exploring the coast and towns nearby
- New friendships with staff and other volunteers
- The knowledge that you have been part of something very positive for Africa and its wildlife
Highly recommended to stay for 6 weeks.